Hi there! What are the things to do in Honfleur in France? Here is a funny question that my friend Lucie asked me. She is Norman so I couldn’t have guessed that she had never set foot there. Especially since the town is a must in the region! Anyway, we took advantage of a beautiful weather in Normandy to spend a day in Honfleur and I’m sharing with you the things to do during a day trip!
Things you can do in Honfleur in France for a day trip?
Honfleur port: a one-of-kind place full of romance
The port of Honfleur is the most impressive place in town, so it’s perfect to start the visit. Its boats, paved streets and colorful houses were in fact a privileged place for Impressionist painters. Imagine strolling hand-in-hand, enjoying the sun on the terrace of a café, tasting some food at one of the many seafood restaurants, or savoring a waffle sitting next to the boats. I’m sure you can picture why Honfleur is indeed a perfect place for romantic break in Normandy. Lucie didn’t stop to make me notice this and I even had to apologize for not being her man!
Honfleur: its museum, art galleries and shops
Behind the port of Honfleur you can wander for hours on the cobbled streets. I’m sure your artistic soul will be as fulfilled. Indeed, Honfleur was Eugene Boudin’s town, and the famous impressionist has a museum devoted to his work and to the various Impressionist painters (Courbet, Monet …) in the cente of town. Unfortunately the museum is closed on Tuesday, the day I visited, so I cannot tell you more! However, I explored many art galleries in Honfleur and discovered new trends and artists. A feast for the eyes! Such as the many small designer shops elsewhere in town which are pure joy for shopping fans! We had a big crush for Agent Paper, a shop that makes beautiful animal heads with recycled paper, but also many other trinkets (diaries, lampshades, tables’sets, etc).
Please, also don’t miss Sainte Catherine church during your visit as it’s the tallest wooden church built in France with a separate belfry.
Where to eat? My list of restaurant and coffee shops
During this day trip, I tried a seafood restaurant and tea room in Honfleur: Les Deux Ponts and La Petite Chine. As I was pleased with both experiences I recommend these addresses that I think a good value for money. I must admit I had a preference for La Petite Chine thanks to its beautiful view over the port, its homemade pastries and its so charming English cups.
You also have loads of places to get a sweet snack such as waffles and crêpes all around town, if you like me you have a little space left in your belly.
Hotels in Honfleur in France
- Hotel L’Ecrin: if I had to choose I would take this one! The hotel i simply superb with its old-fashioned decor and four-poster beds;
- Maisons de Léa: this hotel is full of charm as well with its unique atmosphere in the bedrooms. And it’s located right in the town center;
- La Lirencine: a pretty bed and breakfast with a relaxing and refined decoration which is located in the town center;
- Les Songes d’Héléna: a beautiful house built in the 18th century with exposed beams in the rooms;
- Ma maison de poupée: in english ‘my dollhouse’, for those looking for something a bit more unusual, you’ll love this pretty little house and garden;
- Best Western Le Cheval Blanc: a classic near the harbour;
- La Ferme Saint Simeon Spa – Relais & Chateaux: a 5-star hotel with a splendid garden and sea view;
- The duplex: if you’d rather have an apartment for your self, it looks ideal for a couple;
- If you visit the city with your family, there are also some cottages, like la Maison Blanche;
How to get to Honfleur in France?
Things to do nearby?
Any questions about Honfleur? Please let me know in the comments section, I’ll be happy to help you!
Boujou (the Norman way to say XOXO)
|Parking: 5 minutes walk from the port|
Restaurant Les Deux Ponts: €€
La Petite Chine: €€
|Click here to localise on the Normandy map|